The China Unicom Cross Border King prepaid sim card gives you cheap calls when travelling in Hong Kong and mainland China.
The sim card comes with a Hong Kong mobile phone number, and you can make outgoing calls and receive incoming calls this number.
This is an all-in-one voice and data sim for use in mainland China and Hong Kong. There are flexible data packages to choose from, and you can also make cheaper international calls by using smart IDD dialling.
There is a monthly fee of HKD $18 (approx. £1.52) which is taken from your prepaid credit. Your sim card will remain active as long as there is enough credit to pay the monthly fee.
The China Unicom Cross Border King China/Hong Kong sim card features:
- Coverage in Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan and mainland China
- Comes as a multi-cut sim card to fit any phone
- Easy to activate
- Easy to top up
- Data packages that work in Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan and mainland China
- Access to social networks including Facebook (access to Facebook is blocked with most Chinese mobile services)
- Tethering (using your phone as a mobile hotspot) is available with this sim card
- Free incoming calls in mainland China and Hong Kong
- Cheap international calls
This service is provided by China Unicom Hong Kong and the primary market for this sim card is Hong Kong residents who frequently visit mainland China. Because this service is provided by China Unicom in Hong Kong there are several benefits compared with a sim card issued in mainland China.
- This sim card provides access to social networks including Facebook, which would usually not be available to customers of mobile networks in mainland China.
- Online top up for this mobile service accepts payment by MasterCard, Visa and PayPal. Most mobile services in mainland China will only accept payment by the China UnionPay credit or debit card.
- Customer service is based in Hong Kong and is available in English.
- Pricing for calls and data packages is in Hong Kong dollars.
Calls are cheapest when using this sim card in Hong Kong and mainland China.
|Country you are calling from||Local call||Call to Hong Kong or mainland China||Other international calls||Smart International Dialling package||Incoming calls|
|Mainland China||HKD $0.39 (approx. 3p) per minute||HKD $0.39 (approx. 3p) per minute||HKD $8.60 (approx. 73p) per minute||HKD $10 (approx. 84p) for 20 minutes||Free|
|Hong Kong||HKD $0.39 (approx. 3p) per minute||HKD $0.39 (approx. 3p) per minute||HKD $8.39 (approx. 71p) per minute||HKD $10 (approx. 84p) for 20 minutes||Free|
|Macau||HKD $0.80 (approx. 7p) per minute||HKD $0.39 (approx. 3p) per minute||HKD $8 (approx. 68p) per minute||HKD $10 (approx. 84p) for 20 minutes||HKD $0.80 (approx. 7p) per minute|
|Taiwan||HKD $3 (approx. 25p) per minute||HKD $0.39 (approx. 3p) per minute||HKD $8 (approx. 68p) per minute||HKD $10 (approx. 84p) for 20 minutes||HKD $3 (approx. 25p) per minute|
Cheaper international call rates if you add the Smart International Dialling package
The standard international call rate is HKD $8.39 (approx. 71p) per minute when calling from Hong Kong; HKD $8.60 (approx. 73p) per minute when calling from mainland China; HKD $8 (approx. 68p) per minute when calling from Macau or Taiwan. However, much cheaper international call rates are available if you add the Smart International Dialling package.
For only HKD $10 (approx. 84p) you can add this package, which gives you 20 minutes of calls to the following countries:
|Calls to landline and mobile phones||Calls to landline phones only|
|USA (except Alaska)||Italy|
The standard data rate is HKD $0.80 (approx. 7p) per MB, but there are data passes available that will give you cheaper data access across all four countries.
The following two data passes will give you data access in mainland China plus Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan:
Works in mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan
With this sim card, there is no need to buy separate sim cards for Hong Kong, Macau and mainland China and it will even work in Taiwan.
Easy to activate
This sim card is easy to activate. Simply turn it on after arriving in China or Hong Kong and it’s activated. That’s it.
Your China Unicom Cross Border King Extra sim card comes pre-loaded with HKD $80 credit (approx. £6.75) and it is easy to top up additional credit online.
Most Chinese sim cards are difficult to top up the only payment method accepted by the online top up sites is a Chinese UnionPay credit card. Howeve, with this sim card you can top up online using PayPal or your choice of MasterCard or Visa.